Read on for the best baby girl coming-home outfit, the best baby boy coming-home outfit, and more. Among the many newborn must-haves you should add to your registry, these onesies and sets are probably the most adorable.
- Best baby coming-home outfit overallMonica + Andy Hospital Cuddle BoxPhoto credit: Monica + AndyBUYING OPTIONS:$75Buy at Monica + AndyThis set feels like a splurge, but it comes with five pieces for easily putting together your baby’s first few outfits. Parents love these organic cotton basics, which are super-soft and come in modern patterns like these rainbows, and prints with bees, Boston bull terriers, ice cream cones, and other delights. The Cuddle Box comes nicely wrapped, so it makes a sweet gift.Heads upThe blanket is handy for covering your baby in the car seat, but don’t let your newborn sleep with it (or any other soft bedding).Specs
- 100 percent organic cotton
- Personalization available for $15 extra
- Includes blanket, hat, two tops, and one pant
- Best organic baby coming-home outfitL’ovedbaby Organic Cotton Footed OverallPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$20Buy at Amazon$22Buy at buybuyBaby$22Buy at Bed Bath & BeyondParents rave about this footed romper’s thick, soft, organic cotton and say it gets even softer with each washing. The romper comes in 20 muted, modern colors and or in simple bold stripes, and features fold-over sleeves so your baby can’t scratch themselves. This romper is unbelievably comfortable and looks sweet in photos, too. Heads upThe newborn/preemie size is for babies 4 to 7 pounds, but many newborns will need the 0 to 3 month size for babies 7 to 12 pounds.Specs
- 100 percent organic cotton
- Choose from 20 colors and patterns
- Best affordable baby coming-home outfitSimple Joys by Carter’s 3-Pack Footed Sleep and PlayPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$27Buy at AmazonThese footed sleepers are cute enough for a coming-home outfit, and you’ll probably want a few packs for everyday life, too. The zipper on the front goes down one leg for super quick diaper changes (zippers are easier than snaps). There’s a safety tab covering the zipper at the top to protect your baby’s chin, and the sleeves fold over to protect your baby from scratching their face. Heads upSome parents say the cotton could be softer.Specs
- 100 percent cotton
- Comes with 3 rompers
- Choose from 3 color/design sets
- Best patterned baby coming-home outfitBurt’s Bees Footed Sleep and PlayPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$15Buy at Amazon$14Buy at Target$14Buy at buybuyBabyThis romper comes in dozens of distinctive patterns from subtle to wild and will keep your baby comfortable during the first car ride home. It has several thoughtful features to make your life easier, including a zipper up the front and fold-down sleeves so your baby can’t scratch himself. There’s a cute, non-slip grip on the foot in the shape of a bee, but your little one won’t be needing that until he’s more mobile.Heads upThis outfit runs a little large, so consider buying a size down (newborn rather than 0 to 3 months). Burt’s Bees also sells a “‘snug fit”‘ version of this romper.Specs
- 100 percent organic cotton
- Loose fit
- Choose from 64 patterns
- Best baby girl coming-home outfitLittle Me Newborn Footie and HatPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$16Buy at Amazon$15Buy at buybuyBaby$12Buy at NordstromSimple and sweet, this coming-home outfit includes a soft cotton romper and matching hat, and comes in sweet patterns in ice-creamy colors: a vintage floral, fuzzy bears, circus animals There are snaps along the side for easy changing. And since this is a footie, you won’t need to worry about your newborn’s feet getting cold or keeping track of tiny socks or booties.Heads upParents say this outfit runs a bit large.Specs
- 100 percent cotton
- Includes romper and hat
- Choose from 8 colors and patterns
- Best baby boy coming-home outfitFommy New to the Crew 3-Piece OutfitPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$18Buy at AmazonThis coming-home outfit from Fommy has just enough attitude. There are a bunch of patterns, styles, and slogans to choose from, including “Little Bro,” “Worth the Wait,” and “Just Joined Team.”Heads upSome parents say the hat is too big in comparison to the romper.Specs
- 100 percent cotton
- Includes bodysuit, pant, and hat
- Choose from 34 styles and colors
- Best gender neutral baby coming-home outfitOwlivia Baby Sleep ‘N PlayPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$22Buy at Amazon$18Buy at WalmartIt’s on the pricey side compared with multi-packs of similar sleepers, but these gorgeous long-sleeved footie suits have a number of high-end features that make them worth it. We love the bamboo/cotton/spandex fabric, which is super soft but also more breathable than cotton knit alone. The suit’s feet are layered with fleece to keep toes cozy. And the zipper that runs down one leg is of superior quality too: it zips and unzips smoothly without snagging. Heads upThe zipper only goes one way: a double-ended zipper that could be unzipped from the top or bottom would be nice. Worse, this sleeper has to hang to dry — no tossing it in the dryer. Specs
- 67 percent bamboo rayon, 28 percent organic cotton and 5 percent spandex
- Machine wash cold, hang to dry
- Choose from 11 colors and patterns
- Choose from 1- or 2-packs
- Best baby coming-home outfit for summerHanes Ultimate Baby Flexy 2 Pack Sleeveless RompersPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$15Buy at AmazonDespite how wiggly babies tend to be, most knit baby clothing only stretches in two directions: either side-to-side or up-and-down, but not both. Hanes’ line of Flexy baby clothing has more giving four-way stretch, making them super comfortable for active babies. These rompers get softer with every wash, too. Heads upParents say these suits run small, so size up. Specs
- 60 percent cotton, 37 percent polyester, 3 percent spandex
- Reinforced snaps down front of romper and at crotch
- Choose from 9 2-pack sets
- Best baby coming home outfit for winterHudson Baby Fleece JumpsuitPhoto credit: AmazonADD TO BABY REGISTRY:Add to Amazon registryBUYING OPTIONS:$7Buy at Amazon$19Buy at Target$18Buy at WalmartWho can resist a snuggly newborn baby bear? No one, that’s who, but if bears aren’t your thing, you can also buy this warm and cozy Hudson Baby coverall in more traditional patterned fabric for a pajama-like effect. Either way, your baby’s covered right down to his toes. Heads upOnly the bear varieties of this suit have a hood; you’ll have to cover your baby’s head with a hat if you choose other designs.Specs
- 100 percent polyester
- Choose from 34 pattern sets in 1- or 2-packs
- What is a baby coming-home outfit?In the hospital, your baby will likely wear a hospital-provided long-sleeved bodysuit and swaddling blanket. But when it’s time to leave, you’ll need to change your baby into a coming-home outfit that you’ve brought with you. It’s your first chance to dress your baby up in clothes you’ve picked out!You don’t need a special outfit to bring your baby home, of course – any newborn sleeper or clothes will do. But some new parents like to celebrate the moment by choosing an extra-cute outfit or one with a fun slogan. And a photo-ready outfit is helpful: You’ll probably take a lot of pictures, and you may want to share them far and wide.Make sure to plan for the practicalities, too. Consider the weather when figuring out which coming-home outfit is best, and keep in mind that it’s easiest to put your newborn in a romper, sleeper, or pants (rather than a sleeping gown), so you can easily get the car-seat straps around your baby’s legs and fasten them in the middle without chafing your baby’s tender bare skin.
- What to look for when buying a coming-home outfitWhile cuteness is important, comfort is crucial. Your newborn may sleep peacefully the whole way home or cry nonstop, but either way, you don’t want to worry that any howls are because of an uncomfortable outfit. Save the newborn-sized tutu dresses and mini tuxes for photo shoots when you’re happily settled at home.Newborn sizes will fit most babies, but may not fit a preemie or a baby who weighs more than 8 pounds. Your baby will probably outgrow newborn sizes in a few weeks, and then you can save those teeny clothes as keepsakes, if you like.
Does Hospital Give Newborn Clothes
When it’s time for your new addition to make their “real world” debut, what you choose to dress them in can be a big decision — especially when snap-happy family members are going to be there to capture every moment on camera.
Eighty-two percent of POPSUGAR Moms readers say they bought a special ensemble for their newborn to wear on this momentous day, and if you’re planning on following suit, we recommend an outfit that’s soft, cozy, and easy to get on and off. Gowns and kimono styles are especially desirable, as are pieces that don’t go over the new baby’s head.
Best Coming Home From Hospital Outfit For Baby
Experts agree that this milestone can have a deep impact on parents. “It’s the moment when being a family really begins,” says Ann Grauer, a doula coordinator and staff lactation consultant at Columbia Center Birth Hospital in Mequon, Wisconsin. “The first couple of days in the hospital is like a starting place, but not ‘real life.’ Now they are truly a family, making their way into the world.” Baby’s first outfit will be remembered forever, both as a keepsake and through the photos you’ll likely share with family and friends.
Though the trend for baby going home outfits is an important tradition, it’s a fairly modern one. Before the 20th century, the majority of births took place at home, so there was no need to purchase special clothing. Nowadays, choosing an outfit is among the first independent decisions many families make for their baby—so it’s a major milestone for many people. Here’s what you’ll want to get—plus some adorable picks for the best baby going home outfits.
Baby Going Home Outfit: The Basics
So what exactly should your baby coming home outfit include? “Outfits can vary based on what parents feel fits their family’s style,” says Melissa Gersin, RN, a former maternity nurse turned baby-product inventor. “As long as baby has on a diaper and is dressed appropriately for the weather, there’s no right or wrong outfit.” Some parents go all out dressing baby in a beautiful dress, while others just put baby in a basic onesie. But with all that new parents go through, getting baby dressed is, indeed, a major accomplishment, Gersin says.
Baby going home outfit essentials
Keep these bringing baby home outfit essentials prepared ahead of time so you can focus on enjoying those early moments with your new arrival:
• Onesie. “A onesie is a perfect, basic building block for clothing,” Grauer says. “If baby is too cool, more thin layers of clothing can be added. If baby is warm, the onesie itself is the outfit.” Not to mention that these all-in-one looks are utterly adorable!
• Hat. Even in warmer weather, newborns do well with a baby beanie or knot cap, since their tiny bodies can easily lose heat. If you buy a baby coming home outfit with an included hat, make sure it’s small enough for baby’s first days, as they sometimes run big, Grauer says.
• Socks. Babies don’t easily keep socks on, but they’ll need that extra layer of warmth, since “they receive little blood flow to their tootsies,” Grauer says. You can also opt for booties, which may stay on better.
• Leave the mittens at home. You may worry about scratching, but Grauer says that newborns need their hands. “Those hands have been their friends and comfort for nine months and they can even help soothe a baby on that first ride home.”
When you’re figuring out your baby coming home outfit, you’ll also want to consider these factors:
• Weather. Layers are key to anticipate temperature changes. Your newborn take-home outfit choice will vary based on where you live and current conditions. But it never hurts to consider packing an extra onesie or cardigan—just in case. A breathable cotton or muslin blanket is also a great item to have on hand.
• Comfort. “As most babies are likely just going right into a car seat, comfort is important too, so simple is best,” Mitzner says.
• Easy on-off. Simplicity and function reign supreme. Babies need frequent diaper changes, and intricate ensembles make that process more complicated. Cuteness factor is great, but accessibility is key. What’s more, newborns tend to be a bit floppy, and getting them dressed can be a little tricky at first.
Baby going home outfit sizing
Buying the right size for the baby coming home outfit seems straightforward, but it can sometimes be a challenge. Most baby outfits run big these days, with the majority sized for a 3-month-old rather than an infant, Gersin says. This is especially the case for any outfits labeled 0-3 months. “Unless you know your baby will be 9 to 10 pounds at birth, it’s best to only bring clothing labeled as ‘newborn’ to the hospital,” she says.
If you’re worried, bring two options for the newborn take-home outfit: one that’s small and one that’s a bit bigger. But there’s no need to stress too much about this. “If the outfit is a bit too big, baby won’t care and the outfit will function to keep baby warm and protected against the elements,” Gersin says. And if the outfit is a wee bit small? You can make some simple adjustments as needed: Don’t snap the onesie closed at the bottom, keep hoodies unzipped or scrap a too-snug sweater altogether.
Above all else, have fun shopping for baby’s first outfit. Find something you love and enjoy this milestone moment. You’ll be bringing baby home soon, and this is something to celebrate—so don’t stress). Baby will look adorable no matter what you choose.
Best Baby Boy Coming Home Outfits
When looking for the best baby going home outfit, consider factors like the climate, material and style. If you’re due in summer, natural fabrics like cotton and muslin are a great choice. For winter arrivals, opt for fleece-lined hats, cozy booties and bodysuits with long sleeves. Ready to start your search? Take a look at these cute baby boy coming home outfits for inspiration for every season.
Image: Courtesy Burt’s Bees Baby
Newborn boy coming home outfit for spring
Rain or shine, this newborn take-home outfit for boys is sure to be a hit. The organic cotton fabric is super-soft and gentle on sensitive newborn skin. Plus, the wrap-style front and nickel-free snap fasteners won’t irritate baby’s umbilical cord stump. Bonus: This look comes with a matching hat for added warmth.
Get the look: Burt’s Bees Baby Dotted Jacquard Stripe Organic Baby Jumpsuit & Knot Top Hat Set, $19, BurtsBeesBaby.com
Image: Courtesy Burt’s Bees Baby/Monica an dAndy
Newborn boy coming home outfit for summer
When things heat up, a short-sleeve romper is a great summer-ready newborn look. We adore this kimono-style romper by Monica & Andy—it’s made from GOTs organic cotton, has easy snap-fasteners and comes in a range of cute prints. Pair it with booties and a knot cap to keep baby’s extremities nice and warm.
Get the look: Monica and Andy Sweet Baby B Romper, $25, MonicaandAndy.com; Burt’s Bees Baby Solid Adjustable Organic Baby Booties, $17, BurtsBeesBaby.com; Monica and Andy Top Knot Cap, $12, Monicaandndy.com
Image: Courtesy Old Navy
Newborn boy coming home outfit for fall
Dress your little cub in this darling bringing baby home outfit for fall. The footed onesie keeps baby cozy and warm, fold-over mittens prevent scratching, a two-way zipper prevents any new parent fluster and the autumnal animal print makes for a memorable photo. And get a load of that adorable beanie, complete with bear ears!
Get the look: Old Navy Unisex Printed Sleep & Play Footed One-Piece and Critter Beanie Set for Baby, $19, OldNavy.com
Image: Courtesy Barefoot Dreams
Newborn boy coming home outfit for winter
Keep your little man toasty warm with this four-piece look. The set includes a cardigan, pants, hat and a matching blanket crafted from luxuriously, soft cotton. Now that’s a simple but swoon-worthy newborn take-home outfit if ever we saw one.
Get the look: Barefoot Dreams Cardigan, Pants, Beanie & Blanket Set, $99, Nordstrom.com
Best Baby Girl Coming Home Outfits
You might be tempted to go with an intricate lace-embellished, button-fastened dress for your little lady, but you’ll want to make sure your choice is comfortable, seasonally appropriate and easy to put on and take off. Lucky for you, there are plenty of options that strike a balance between the pretty and the practical. Below, check out our favorite baby girl coming home outfits for all four seasons.
Image: Courtesy Honest Baby Clothing
Newborn girl coming home outfit for spring
This three-piece cotton outfit will keep baby cozy on a brisk spring day—and it’s pretty cute to boot. The coordinated set includes a kimono-style top, pull-on footed pants and a sweet headband to complete the look. Better yet, the top has convenient fold-over cuffs to protect baby from fingernail scratches.
Get the look: Honest Baby 3-Piece Organic Cotton Side Snap Top, Footed Pant and Headband, $25, HonestBabyClothing.com
Image: Courtesy Kissy Kissy/Janie and Jack
Newborn girl coming home outfit for summer
When it’s warm outside and an extra layer isn’t called for, a sleeveless romper is the way to go. Crafted from the finest Peruvian pima cotton, this one-piece has a delicate floral print and crotch snaps for easy diaper changes. Even in summertime, though, don’t forget a lightweight newborn hat and socks.
Image: Courtesy Tea Collection
Newborn girl coming home outfit for fall
When the weather begins to cool, a footie ensemble is the perfect baby coming home outfit. We like this mustard yellow pick from Tea Collection. It’s got snap fasteners down the front, foldover mittens and a modern floral print. Plus, your little one will get plenty of everyday use out of this organic cotton one-piece. Complete the look with the matching hat.
Image: Courtesy Burt’s Bees Baby/Boden USA/Zutano
Newborn girl coming home outfit for winter
A quilted romper will keep winter’s chill at bay—and this piece’s kimono-style design will make dressing a breeze. Add a baby bonnet and fluffy booties and you have a precious and practical newborn take-home outfit.
Best Gender Neutral Baby Coming Home Outfits
Whether you’re waiting until the big day to find out baby’s sex or simply want something beyond classic pink and blue apparel, there are tons of gender neutral clothes on offer. Here, our picks of the most adorable gender-neutral newborn coming home outfits, including options for each season.
Image: Courtesy Hanna Andersson/Baby Mori/Amazon
Gender neutral coming home outfit for spring
Your little one deserves the very best—that’s why we love this adorable set made from pure, pima cotton. The bodysuit is decorated with original Winnie the Pooh artwork, that’ll look lovely on boys and girls. Pair it with these honey-colored booties and a simple white hat for a timeless baby going home outfit.
Image: Courtesy Finn and Emma/Primary
Gender neutral coming home outfit for summer
A cotton bodysuit in neutral tones is perfect for summer babies. Finn & Emma has a huge range of bold prints and patterns, including this cute option that reads “I’m new here.” Add a pop of color with accessories like this red baby bonnet and rainbow socks.
Image: Courtesy Gap
Gender neutral coming home outfit for fall
A long sleeve top, beanie hat and pants with feet will keep your little one cute and cozy as the air turns crisp. Plus, that monochromatic baby bear print is perfect for boys and girls.
Get the look: Gap Baby 100% Organic Cotton Bear Outfit Set, $45, Gap.com
Image: Courtesy H&M/Old Navy
Gender neutral coming home outfit for winter
Searching for a special newborn take-home outfit? Jazz up a standard bodysuit and pant set with a gorgeous knitted sweater and hat, perfect for those blustery winter days.