Our Sherpa Minky blankets are super soft, plush and the perfect size for swaddling or covering up baby. Our swaddle blankets are perfect for keeping baby warm while sleeping, soothing them during cuddles or making a fashionable statement while wearing out and about.
This baby swaddle blanket is made of a very soft fabric that feels really nice against the skin. It is perfect for any season, but especially useful in the colder months. The blanket itself is made of a lightweight fabric that is thin enough to be breathable. It will not overheat your baby and make them uncomfortable at night.The edges are double-finished with a decorative stitch around them so it will stay put and look great from every angle.
Soft, warm and cozy: these blankets are the perfect choice to wrap your baby in snugly security. They keep your little one warm as you go about your day and make changing his/her diaper easier when traveling or out in public.
This ultra-soft, lightweight swaddle blanket is made of a plush micro-fleece fabric and perfect for all seasons. It’s great as a baby blanket, stroller cover, or toasty throw for your little one. The design can be personalized with the name or initials of your choice. After all, we’ve got you covered
This unique gift set includes 1 baby blanket and 2 burp cloths to make the perfect baby shower or new baby gift. The soft, plush material is perfect for swaddling and has a simple design that can be used for both girls and boys.
Are you looking for a baby blanket? This one will make your baby sleep soundly, feel cozy and warm.
Best Blankets For Newborn Babies
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products—learn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Every baby needs a soft, comfortable blanket that will hold up long enough to last through the toddler and preschool years, and possibly even beyond. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), while babies should not sleep with loose blankets,1 they can still play on them and may start to form an attachment.
Reviewed & Approved
The Boritar Baby Blanket is a soft blanket made from 100 percent polyester that’s double layered with a flat and bumpy texture on each side. If you prefer a hooded towel, we suggest the Hudson Baby and Toddler Hooded Animal Blanket.
Kids will put their beloved blankets through a lot, so you’ll want a baby blanket with durable material to help it last many years. When reviewing products, we carefully looked over many factors, including material, along with age recommendations, ease of cleaning, and safety guidance from the AAP.
Here are our favorite baby blankets for your little one.
Our Top Picks
Best for Winter:
In This Article
Best Overall: Boritar Baby Blanket
Courtesy of Boritar
- Double texture is great for sensory development
- Super soft
- Warm, but not heavy
- Needs to be washed on cold
- Spots and stains may be more visible with lighter colors
The Boritar Baby Blanket tops our list because it features two different textures, several pattern options, and is big enough to grow with your child. Available in two sizes and several whimsical patterns, this blanket is super soft to the touch with one side having a flat texture and the other with a bumpy feel. It’s double-layered, making it warm but not heavy so it’s great for year-round use.
The kid’s size measures 30 inches x 40 inches so it’s large enough to lay flat on the ground for playtime during the first year, but not too large for them to snuggle up with during the toddler and preschool years. It’s safe to toss into the washer and dryer and won’t lose its softness.
Dimensions: 30 x 40 inches or 50 x 60 inches | Material: Polyester/Minky
Best Budget: Hudson Baby Unisex Baby and Toddler Hooded Animal Blanket
Courtesy of Hudson Baby
- Machine washable and safe for dryer
- Hooded design provides extra warmth
- Soft fabric
- Smaller size isn’t ideal for preschoolers
- Lightweight, so not ideal for cold climates
Aside from being downright adorable, this hooded blanket is made from soft fabric that will keep your child warm but not hot. The blanket comes in a variety of different animals including a fox, elephant, chicken, zebra, dog, bear, and more. It’s perfectly sized for a little one, but will still provide comfort and security to toddlers as they grow.
Dimensions: 28 x 40 inches | Material: Polyester
Best for Winter: Pottery Barn Kids Sherpa Baby Blanket
Pottery Barn Kids
- High quality and durably made
- Very warm
- Super soft on both sides
- Needs to be washed on gentle cycle
- Should be removed from dryer promptly
- Lighter colors may stain easier
When you think of a plush blanket, this is probably what comes to mind. This blanket is double-sided, with one being soft and flat and the other with a sherpa material, making it fluffy, comfortable, and warm. Its washer and dryer friendly and is available in three different colors with the option to be personalized.
Dimensions: 30 x 40 inches | Material: Polyester and Polyester Sherpa
Best Breathable: NTBAY Jersey Cotton Quilted Baby Blanket
- Lightweight, soft fabric
- Several color/pattern options
- Safe for the washer and dryer
- Isn’t ideal for cold months/climates
- May start to slightly lose shape over time
This blanket is very comfortable without being too heavy. It’s made from jersey cotton, which is both soft and airy, with microfiber filling, so it won’t cause your little one to overheat. Along the edges of the blanket is reinforced stitching so that it can withstand multiple cycles in the washer and dryer without falling apart. Available in more than 15 color and pattern combinations, the fabric actually gets softer over time.
Dimensions: 30 x 40 inches | Material: Cotton
Best Swaddle: aden + anais Classic 4-Pack Muslin Swaddles
Courtesy of Amazon
- Four coordinating swaddles in one pack
- Large enough to wrap around the baby or lay on the floor for playtime
- Soft and stretchy; perfect for swaddling
- Very lightweight, not ideal as a lovey
- There are no solid color options
You get a lot of bang for your buck with this purchase because this pack comes with four adorable swaddles in different (but complementing) colors/patterns. Each swaddle is made from cotton muslin, so they are stretchy, breathable, and soft so swaddling your baby will be a breeze.
You can safely toss these into the washer and dryer and they’ll continue to get softer over time without losing shape or falling apart. There are more than 30 color combinations to choose from, so there is sure to be one that will match your baby’s nursery aesthetic.
Dimensions: 47 x 47 inches | Material: 100% Cotton
Best Muslin: Pottery Barn Kids Flora Oversized Organic Muslin Baby Blanket
Courtesy of Pottery Barn Kids
- Breathable material, but double layering ensures it’s not too lightweight
- 100% organic cotton
- Reinforced stitching for durability, especially in the washer and dryer
- Needs to be washed on gentle cycle only
- Should be removed from dryer promptly
- Spots and stains may be more visible on light-colored fabric
Made from incredibly soft and gentle 100% organic cotton muslin, this blanket is comfortable, lightweight, and downright gorgeous. It’s double-layered with different, but coordinating patterns on each side and reinforced stitching along the parameter to make sure it lasts for years.
Measuring at 47 inches x 47 inches, this blanket is slightly oversized, making it perfect for playing and for snuggling up at bedtime for toddlers. In addition to this pattern, there are a few other options under different listings on the website.
Dimensions: 47 x 47 inches | Material: 100% Organic Cotton Muslin
Best Organic: Burt’s Bees Baby Reversible Blanket
Courtesy of Burtâs Bees
- Super soft fabric that won’t pill over time
- Several pattern options available
- Safe for the washer and dryer
- It is a bit thicker, so swaddling may be difficult
- Cotton may slightly shrink
- Most color/pattern options are light, so spots and stains will be visible
This blanket is made from 100% organic cotton, making it warm, breathable, and soft to the touch. It’s designed to serve as a swaddle, security blanket, or a soft place to play on the floor. It’s doubled sided with different patterns on each side and has reinforced stitching along the edges so that it won’t easily fall apart. The no-pill design and washing machine-friendly fabric mean it will last for a while.
Dimensions: 30 x 40 inches | Material: 100% Organic Cotton
Best Splurge: Parachute Waffle Baby Blanket
Courtesy of Parachute
- Breathable and warm
- Super soft and high quality fabric
- Safe for the washer and dryer, no special cycle necessary
- May be too big for toddler to carry
- Kids with sensory sensitivity may not like the waffle design/texture
Oversized with a waffle texture, this blanket is extremely soft and simultaneously warm and lightweight. Its waffle design allows for easy, effective airflow while also providing excellent warmth and comfort. You can get this blanket in two neutral colors, and toss it into the washer and dryer whenever it needs to be cleaned.
Dimensions: 50 x 36 inches | Material: 100% Turkish Cotton
A baby would be lucky to have any of these blankets, but the Boritar Baby Blanket (view at Amazon) ranked highest on our list for its different textures, soft fabric, and various design options.
What to Look for in Baby Blankets
Baby blankets come in all different types of materials, and what works best for one baby may not for another—whether due to sensory preferences or climate. Also, some blankets have multiple materials for a varied experience. When considering different materials, consider washability. If it’s a well-loved blanket, you will need to clean it regularly.
Common materials for baby blankets include:
- Muslin: Light, breathable, and stretchy, and an excellent choice for swaddle blankets. Muslin washes well and doesn’t shrink in the dryer.
- Wool: Some blankets have a wool filling which makes them very warm and a good option for colder months or climates. Wool often has special washing and/or drying instructions.
- Cotton/organic cotton: Soft, airy, durable, and usually safe for a baby’s sensitive skin. Cotton can usually be machine-washed and dried without a problem and makes for a great everyday baby blanket.
- Fleece: Very soft and warm with a slightly nubby texture. This is an especially good fabric for colder months or climates, and it’s not necessarily too heavy for warmer months, either; it’s just less breathable than other options. Fleece is ideal for a stroller blanket.
- Jersey knit: Super airy and lightweight with a bit of stretch and a smooth, soft feel. A lot of adult loungewear clothing is made from jersey knit (so you know it’s cozy). It tends to wash well without issue and is a good option all year long.
- Bamboo: Great for sensitive skin, soft to the touch, somewhat stretchy, and breathable. Bamboo is becoming a more and more popular fabric because it feels so soft and is machine-washable and eco-friendly.
- Minky: Plush, soft, cozy, and usually has a bumpy texture when it’s used in blankets. A lot of kids’ stuffed animals are also made from this material. The only downside is that it’s not a very breathable fabric, so a baby or kid that runs hot may not like it very much.
Kids will put their well-loved baby blanket through a lot, which means it needs to be able to withstand all of the wear and tear that comes along with childhood. Between spit-up, accidents, mud, dust, milk, and whatever else a kid can manage to spill on their blanket, it will go through the washer and dryer pretty regularly over the years.
With that in mind, a baby blanket needs to be durable enough to survive without unreasonable tearing, fading, or pilling. Consider the material the blanket is made from and also take a close look at the stitching to see if it seems strong or like it will unravel within a year.
Above all else, the blanket needs to be comfortable. The fabric should be soft and stay soft through washes, it should keep a child warm without overheating them, and it should be sized big enough to cover a toddler or preschooler but not so much that it overwhelms them (remember, babies should not sleep with blankets until they are at least 1 year old).
This is going to be the blanket they sleep with, bring in the car with them, insist on taking to overnight stays at relatives’ homes, and carry around the house—so it needs to be cozy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When can a baby sleep with a blanket?
- How do you swaddle a baby in a blanket?
- What are the best ways to use a baby blanket?
- Is it safe to cover a baby with a blanket in a car seat?
Why Trust Verywell Family
Ashley Ziegler is a full-time parenting writer and mom to a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. She has personal experience in researching and purchasing a variety of children’s products and key considerations she used when selecting these recommendations include materials, design, and user reviews.
What is a Flannel Blanket for Babies