The name Eden is of Hebrew origin meaning “place of pleasure,” and in the Bible is God’s garden of paradise for Adam and Eve. It is more often used as a girl’s name, but has gained popularity for boys too.
Many parents search for a name with compelling meanings and a positive message. The beautiful name Eden meets both requirements, as it is of Hebrew origin and means “place of pleasure.” Yet the most popular derivation of this lovely name is the Bible.
Eden was originally a Hebrew name meaning “place of pleasure,” and in the Bible, it’s the garden in which Adam and Eve live. Nowadays, Eden is still considered a feminine name – but as it continues to gain popularity, it won’t be long before we start hearing boys’ names beginning with “E”!”
Eden is a name that rises in popularity among parents in 2016, but why? Is it because of the biblical connection, meaning “place of pleasure”? Or because of the fresh, crisp sound its letters make? Personalize your child’s name by using Eden as a middle name for a truly one-of-a-kind name.
This name is one of my favorites because of the biblical origin and because it means “place of pleasure.”
Eden is a biblical place of comfort and beauty, and a really nice name, too.
The name Eden is a girl’s name of Hebrew origin meaning “place of pleasure, delight”.Eden is an attractive, serene name with obvious intimations of Paradise, one of several place names drawn from the Bible by the Puritans in the seventeenth century.
Eden entered the Top 1000 in 1989, and got a real bump in visibility when Desperate Housewives’ Marcia Cross used it for one of her twin girls. There have been also Edens on the old soap opera Santa Barbara and the shows Heroes and Extras.
Pronounced ED-en, Eden is also a Hebrew name for boys, though as EE-den it’s gaining ground in the US for boys, now given to one boy for every four girls.
How Popular is the Name Eden?
For decades, starting in the 80s, the name Eden has been in the top 1000 names for girls. It has slowly but steadily increased in popularity throughout this time. In 2020, it reached peak popularity at 130.1
As a boy’s name, Eden has been less popular, arriving in the top 1000 charts in 2008 where it placed 895. Since then, the name has grown in popularity. Its most popular year was 2019, where it placed 468th in the charts.1
Not yet a top 100 name, the name Eden still feels somewhat rare and interesting.
The following are variations of the name Eden:
- Eaden (Hebrew)
- Eadin (Hebrew)
- Edenia (Spanish, Hebrew)
- Edin (Albanian)
- Edini (Albanian)
- Edinia (Hebrew)
Similar sounding names to Eden:
Other biblical names:
Other garden-inspired names:
There are a few nicknames for those with the name Eden:
Suggested Sibling Names
Looking for ideal sibling names to go with Eden? Here are some suggestions:
Famous People Named Eden
Here are some notable people who share the name Eden:
- Eden Hazard, Belgian professional soccer player who plays as a midfielder for the Spanish team, Real Madrid
- Eden Phillpotts, an English author, poet, and dramatist
- Eden Riegel, an American actress who played Bianca Montgomery in the popular daytime drama “All My Children”
The name Eden means “place of pleasure and delight.” It is a magical, peaceful name with biblical roots and Hebrew origins.
According to the Bible, the Garden of Eden was God’s gift to the first humans, Adam and Eve. As the story goes, it was a luscious garden that God intended for Adam and Eve to live in peacefully, contently, and innocently as they effortlessly reaped the fruits of their paradise.
The Garden of Eden contained a special tree called the tree of knowledge of good and evil and Adam and Eve were forbidden, by God, to eat its fruit. However, they ate the fruit from the forbidden tree and therefore were banished from the Garden of Eden.
Needless to say, the name Eden has deeply planted roots.
- Origin: The name Eden is of Hebrew origin meaning “place of pleasure.” In the Bible, Eden is God’s garden of paradise for Adam and Eve.
- Gender: The name Eden is more often used as a girl’s name but it is gaining popularity for boys too.
- Pronunciation: ed-en or ee-din
Although many baby names are separated by gender, Verywell Family believes that sex does not need to play a role in your name selection process. It’s important to select a name that you feel suits your new baby the best.
Eden Rank in US Top 1000
- 70New Zealand2021
20 Names Similar to Eden
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Eden.
Lists containing Eden
- Biblical Place Names
- Girl Names That Peaked in 2018
- Names Girls Love Having
- Bible Names for Girls
- New York Neighborhood Names
- Designer Baby Names
- Top Baby Names 2021
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Pretty Girl Names
- Soap Opera Baby Names
- Film Noir Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Names That Mean Happy
- Spiritual Baby Names
- Toddlers & Tiaras Baby Names
- Unisex Names for Girls
- Cool Girl Names
- Top Unisex Baby Names
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Happy Names for Pets
- Place Names for Babies
- Jewish Baby Names
- New Testament Names
Famous People Named Eden
- Eden Elenor TaylorDraper, English actress
- Eden Rebecca SherAmerican actress
- Eden Sonja Jane RiegelAmerican actress
- Eden WoodAmerican child beauty queen and reality TV personality
- Eden xostage name of Jessica Eden Malakouti, American singer,songwriter
- Eden Myfanwy CaleAmerican actress; daughter of musician John Cale
- Eden Erica EspinosaAmerican actress
- Eden HarelIsraeli actress and TV host
- Eden Alpertdaughter of bandleader Herb Alpert
- Eden Sassoon (b. 1973)daughter of hairstylist Vidal Sassoon and actress Beverly Adams
- Eden Marley (b. 1994)daughter of CFL player Rohan Marley; granddaughter of singer Bob Marley
- Eden Geneva Mahoney (b. 2007)daughter of actress Marcia Cross and Tom Mahoney; twin sister Savannah
- Eden Saul (b. 2014)daughter of actor Mark Saul
- Eden Rose Halsey (b. 2015)daughter of athlete Jaime Moore and Steve Halsey; triplet sisters Erin Aila and Amber Joy Halsey
- Eden Watson (b. 2015)daughter of NFL player Benjamin Watson
- Barbara EdenAmerican actress
- Eden Park (b. 2015)daughter of Korean soccer player Jooho Park
Eden in Pop Culture
- The Garden of EdenBiblical paradise
- Edena people group (Isaiah 37:12)
- Eden McCaincharacter on TV’s “Heroes”
- Eden Moorecharacter in 2012 film “Upside Down”
- Eden Lordcharacter on TV’s “Nip/Tuck”
- Eden Standishcharacter in Patrick White’s “The Living and the Dead” (1941)
- Edencharacter in film “Blue Crush”
- Edencharacer in film “Vampire Bats”
- Edencharacter in webcomic “Glitch”
- “East of Eden”novel and film by John Steinbeck
- Eden’s CrushAmerican girl group
- EdenGenie’s girlfriend in Disney’s Aladdin series
- Eden Gelbdaughter of Becca Gelb in “The Society”