I’m going to be honest: if you’re a new parent and want to dress your baby in something cute, you’ve got plenty of options. But if you want something that’s not only adorable but also comfy and easy to put on, then this pattern is for you. It uses common sewing skills like hemming and sewing elastic, so it’s easy enough for beginners but still looks great on your little guy!
Step 1: Sew the shirt
- Sew the front and back pieces of the shirt together at the shoulders, neckline, and side seams.
- Hem the bottom edge of the shirt by folding it over twice and sewing it down with a straight stitch; use a small stitch length so it doesn’t show when you put pants on over it later! If you want to get fancy, add some decorative stitching around where you hemmed.
- Sew sleeves onto armholes by folding them in half lengthwise first before pinning into place around opening with right sides out facing one another (this way they will look nice when folded up later). Then sew together down both short edges using 1/2″ seam allowance before turning inside out again so both sides look like they did before stitching closed except now there’s no seam showing anymore!
Step 2: Sew the pants
- Sew the pants.
- Sew the pants to the shirt.
- Use a sewing machine to sew on buttons, but don’t forget to make buttonholes in advance! And if you’re using buttons instead of snaps, sew them on with a needle and thread rather than through the fabric like we did here.
Step 3: Assemble & Embellish the outfit
- Attach the pants to the shirt.
- Add a bow tie.
- Add a belt.
- Add a hat or cap.
- Shoes are optional, but if you are going for an outfit that is ready to wear from home or in public, shoes are recommended!
Now your baby can be adorable and comfortable at the same time!
If you’re not a skilled seamstress, but still want to make an adorable outfit for your baby, there are plenty of other options. You can use fabric paint to add the details and embroidery machines to stitch on the words. If all else fails, there is always the option of buying a premade onesie online! These are great options because they allow you to put your creativity into something else like choosing which font or pattern will best suit your little one’s personality.
Using these instructions, you can make a baby diaper cover with ease. The best part is that they’re great for both boys and girls and you can customize them however you like! You can also use them as gifts or save them for future babies in your family.