A patient may receive anywhere from one to two injections per day, up to ninety shots over the course of a single cycle, depending on the specific treatment and cycle that they are undergoing.
The majority of the time, medications for the treatment of in vitro fertilization are given either subcutaneously (that is, directly into the layer of fat that lies immediately beneath the skin) or intramuscularly (directly into the muscle). A patient might receive one to two injections per day, for a total of approximately 90 injections per cycle, over the course of nine to fourteen days, depending on the specific therapy and cycle.
What Injections Are Given During IVF?
There are several name brands of injectable FSH products available including Gonal-F, Follistim, Bravelle, Menopur and Repronex. These drugs can be given as subcutaneous injections or as intramuscular injections. We use them sub-Q because the women prefer it
The medical procedure is known as in-vitro fertilization, or IVF, involves fertilizing an egg with sperm inside of a test tube. IVF is a hub for multiple procedures that all work together to improve a woman’s chances of becoming pregnant. IVF has been given the reputation of being the most successful form of assisted reproductive technology (ART). IVF allows a couple to use their own eggs and sperm in the process. Utilizing the gametes (eggs, sperm, or embryos) of either an unknown or a known donor is yet another option. If you want to achieve your goal of family planning, it is in your best interest to seek advice from a fertility specialist. Before going through with the procedure, it is important to seek the advice of medical professionals, stay in close communication with experienced IVF partners, and talk about the possibilities. IVF injections are the method of choice for stimulating ovaries and treating infertility in women who have difficulty ovulating on their cycles. These injections are used to achieve pregnancy.
The Prime IVF Fertility Centre is widely regarded as the most successful in vitro fertilization (IVF) clinic in the greater Delhi metropolitan area. It is staffed by knowledgeable professionals who will give you the very best medical care available for infertility.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- What to Expect from IVF Injections?
- How Many Injections are Required for IVF?
- How to Make IVF Injections Easier?
- Which Time is Best for IVF Injections?
- What are the Side-effects of IVF Injections?
1. What to Expect from IVF Injections?
IVF injections for pregnancy are injectable drugs that help stimulate ovulation. These medications help your doctor to control ovulation from the beginning of the treatment cycle. During this entire period of ovulation, the doctor will monitor the ultrasound and blood work, primarily estradiol levels and growth of the oocytes till maturation. This will help the doctor to adjust the dosage as and when required. You can perceive the following observations while undergoing this procedure:
- Changes in body and increase in appetite: Hormonal injections can affect the weight and basal metabolic rate (BMR) of your body. You may also notice an increase in your hunger and satiety levels. This might be due to the effect of some medications taken during the treatment. If you gain weight at a rapid pace, seek medical advice at the earliest.
- Changes in behavior like feeling emotional and distracted: Hormonal injections can affect your emotional quotient leading to an emotional outburst suddenly. IVF treatment can be overwhelming for some parents. They may feel emotional and distracted from their usual activities.
- Gastrointestinal (GI) related side effects: Constipation and diarrhoea are the frequently observed side effects of hormonal injections. You should consume a healthy diet that includes fibre and drink plenty of water.
- Psychological effects of stress and anxiety: Hormonal injections and fertility treatment as a whole can be frustrating and you start observing symptoms of stress and anxiety. Regular consultations with your practitioner and doing stress-relieving activities like meditation and yoga are proven highly useful in alleviating the symptoms.
2. How Many Injections are Required for IVF?
IVF treatment requires medications that are usually given via injections either subcutaneously (directly into the fat just under the skin) or intramuscular (directly into the muscle). Depending on the course of specific treatment and cycle, a patient may receive up to 90 shots per cycle with a frequency of 1–2 injections per day. These medications might include gonadotropins, i.e., follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH), which stimulate the ovaries to develop mature follicles and ultimately eggs. Another hormone, progesterone is naturally produced after ovulation in usual cases. In some patients undergoing IVF, insufficient levels of progesterone are observed and hence, supplementation is prescribed. The supplementation starts around the time of egg retrieval or ovulation and continues until the pregnancy-produced progesterone maintains the levels itself.
3. How to Make IVF Injections Easier?
The process of IVF poses multiple challenges and injections are one of them, especially in women with low tolerance to pain. Various methods and practices can be adapted to ease any pain and related discomforts.
- Educate yourself about the process, related side effects and how you can manage them symptomatically.
- Talk to any specialist that conducts cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to overcome the phobia of needles and injections. This is because it includes up to 90 injections during the entire treatment. Learn the tricks of pinching the skin or pulling it tight to experience the similarity with the injection pinch.
- Use an ice pack application or heating pad to numb the site. For the subcutaneous shot, 15–30 seconds of icing is enough to numb the nerves; however, for the intramuscular shot, using a heating pad for approximately 10–15 minutes will relax the muscles and make them more pliable for the injection.
4. Which Time is Best for IVF Injections?
IVF Treatment in Delhi process includes stimulating injections of gonadotropins to stimulate the ovaries. Recent studies have shown that specific time is not a dependent factor for stimulation injections and there is no difference in the delivery rate when they are taken either in the morning or evening. A clinical trial observed the difference in certain aspects of hormone levels of peak estradiol or progesterone, endometrial thickness, number of mature oocytes, fertilisation stage, or blastocysts obtained when the gonadotropins were administered in AM (morning) and PM (evening) groups. There was no difference in the initial or baseline vitamin D levels and the quantity of gonadotropins used in the medicine. The trend of higher implantation rate, higher chemical pregnancy rate, and higher clinical pregnancy rate was observed in the AM group. In addition to this, you must take into account the duration of injections, i.e., injections at the same time slot every day. This practise may vary depending on the combination of injections that are prescribed to you and menstrual cycle variation.
Fertility injections take approximately 8–14 days from the initiation of hormonal medications until eggs are mature and ready to retrieve. Once the process of IVF injection begins, you must maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid vigorous exercise to ensure better egg quality.
5. What are the Side-effects of IVF Injections?
Like with any other medicine, IVF stimulation injections also may cause some common side effects which are listed below. It is important to understand and discuss these with your doctor before the treatment is initiated. Seek professional help if you need any assistance in monitoring and managing them.
- Headaches, night sweats, and hot flashes
- Abdominal pain, bloating, and nausea
- Upset stomach and discomfort
- Changes in cervical mucus
- Temporary visual disturbances (blurred vision)
- Dizziness and frequent mood swings
- Tenderness in the breast
- Skin redness, soreness, or bruise at the injection site
- Irritability and restlessness
- Overstimulation of ovaries termed ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS)
Every drug may or may not cause these side effects and experiencing these will be different for every patient. Some of the effects may be witnessed as mild symptoms. The symptoms might be temporary and may subside without causing any further complications. Nevertheless, seek immediate medical assistance if the symptoms persist for a longer duration and do not resolve within a few days with your discomfort level increasing on a daily basis.
Fertility treatments provide an amazing opportunity for those couples who have infertility problems. Once you start the IVF treatment, it is recommended to maintain your journal or calendar to record all the scheduled shots, appointments, blood tests work, etc. Prepare notes to help your brain retain even the minutest details which might be important later on. It is of utmost importance to pamper yourself to stay more relaxed and positive during the entire duration of IVF.
Prime IVF Centre, the Best IVF Centre in Gurgaon is an established centre with a team of highly experienced, and committed doctors which provides infertility solutions comprehensively to every individual couple. The centre offers multidisciplinary care with dedicated teams of fertility, nutrition, and lifestyle experts. In addition to this, the centre offers the latest technologies in understanding and scanning the requirement. Visit the website https://www.primeivfcentre.com/infertility-treatment-centre for more information on facilities and services. Schedule your consultation and meet with your fertility counsellor and nutritionist to prepare you for the road ahead and to help you make smooth decisions. Feel free to contact or book an appointment with us to experience the remarkable gift of parenthood.