Vicks warm steam vaporizer for nursery is great for kid’s bedrooms or nursery. It adds moisture to the air and helps your child sleep better.
This warm mist vaporizer is great for kid’s bedrooms or nursery, adding moisture to the air to help your child sleep and stay healthy. This also acts as a white noise machine since it comes with 3 different sound options.
The Vicks Warm Steam Vaporizer for nursery is a simple, effective way to keep your little one comfortable. This vaporizer uses steam to warm the air and add moisture for a better night’s sleep. The warm mist produces particles that are small enough to be breathed deep into the lungs.
Vicks Warm Steam Vaporizer is designed to add moisture to the air, helping your child sleep more comfortably through cough and cold season.
Vaporizer for Baby Stuffy Nose
The Vicks Vaporizer helps relieve the symptoms of nose and throat congestion, coughs and a parched throat by thinning mucus and draining sinus passages. This clears the nasal passages for easier breathing and relieves dry, scratchy throats. Using the Vicks Vaporizer overnight ensures sleep is more restful with gentle, natural steam therapy
Snuffly noses, coughs and colds are generally not serious but they can be disruptive, especially at night. I’ve found that one of the most gentle ways to ease the symptoms of coughs, colds, bronchitis and croup is the use of steam therapy.Advertisement
Other products on the market that are sometimes confused with Warm Steam Vaporisers are Cool Mist Humidifiers and Diffusers. These are different to a Warm Steam Vaporiser in that a Cool Mist Humidifier produces cool humidified air for combating dry air, dry skin conditions and allergy symptoms such as itchy eyes, dry throat. Cool humidity doesn’t help congestion quite as much. Diffusers are for use in aromatherapy and they don’t humidify. So as far as steam therapy for coughs and colds go, a vaporiser is what you’re looking for.
The Vicks Vaporizer is a great steam therapy option for use with babies and small children because its steam temperature is 25 percent cooler than other vaporisers on the market, making it a safer option.
Warm Steam therapy works in two ways; firstly it liquefies mucous congestion which makes it easier to expel. Secondly, the added moisture, warmth and humidity helps to relax the throat muscles, which in turn helps to ease the cough reflex – providing relief from coughing fits.
The Vicks Vaporizer is safe to use from new born age so it is a worthwhile investment as it can be used for years, by the whole family. It is especially useful in the winter months when coughs and colds are more prevalent.
Other great benefits of Vicks Vaporizer include:
- It can be used on its own, or as a complementary therapy along side chest rubs, saline drops or medications advised by your doctor
- It can be used with the Vicks VapoSteam Inhalant or without
- Comes with a 5 year Warranty
- Easy to set up and use
- Trusted brand
- It is designed with young children in mind; its cooler steam makes it safer to use around little ones
- Automatic shut off after 12 – 14 hours of operation
- Comes with a lock-on cap and night light
- The water is boiled to produce bacteria-free steam
- Has an in built thermostat which prevents over-heating.
For added safety Vicks recommend that the Vaporiser is not set up on a table or pointed directly at the child. For optimum safety the Vaporiser should be placed on the floor a few meters from the cot/bed and the door to the room left ajar.
Vicks Warm Steam Vaporizer offers a gentler way to soothe your child at bedtime. You can use it in your nursery or any suitable room when your baby is asleep.
This vaporizer is great for kids of all ages, add moisture to the air to help relieve congestion and keep your child comfortable and asleep.
How To Use a Vicks Vaporizer for Baby
Many parents may consider trying Vicks for babies when they develop a common cold. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that infants may have eight to ten bouts of the common cold during the first two years (1).
Vicks VapoRub is a product popular among parents since it is a topical medication, and other oral over-the-counter medicines are not recommended for babies. But is this popular remedy safe for babies?
Read this post to know the safety, effectiveness, correct use, and alternatives to Vicks VapoRub for babies.
This post is for informational purposes only and not a promotional piece for the manufacturer. We suggest you talk to a pediatrician before using any OTC medicines for your baby.
Is Vicks VapoRub Safe For A Baby?
Why Should You Not Use Vicks VapoRub For Babies?
Vicks VapoRub is a mentholated topical ointment, intended for use over the chest, back, and throat for subduing cough, and muscle and joint pain. The oil-based medication can be inhaled without hot steam. Major ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are (5):
- Camphor acts as a cough suppressant and painkiller.
- Eucalyptus oil is a cough suppressant.
- Menthol is cough suppressant and analgesic.
- Turpentine oil reduces chest congestion.
- Cedarwood oil is antiseptic, antispasmodic, and antifungal.
- Nutmeg increases immunity while reducing pain and insomnia.
- Thymol is antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic.
Use Of Vicks BabyRub For Babies
Vicks BabyRub gently moisturizes, soothes, and relaxes your baby. A massage on the baby’s chest, neck, back, and soles of feet can make your baby feel comfortable.
The ointment is safe for babies because it is camphor-free. Vicks BabyRub contains aloe vera, coconut oil, soft white paraffin, and fragrances of lavender and rosemary.
Vicks BabyRub Myths Vs. Reality
- It is not safe for babies.
Vicks BabyRub is specially formulated for babies above three months of age. The manufacturer claims it to be made from natural and non-medicated ingredients.
- It can be harsh for a baby’s sensitive skin
Vicks BabyRub is claimed to be developed by skin experts, and the formulation is mild and natural. It helps relax and soothe your baby.
- Vicks BabyRub is a lotion
It is not a lotion but a rub (liniment or ointment). Therefore, a small quantity is needed for application on your baby’s body.
How To Use Vicks BabyRub?
The manufacturer recommends the following directions for the use of Vicks BabyRub.
- Gently massage Vicks BabyRub over the baby’s chest, back, neck, and soles of feet.
- Cover the body with warm and dry clothes.
- Keep the clothing loose near the throat and chest to help vapors reach the nose.
- Repeat the application if required, but not more than three times a day.
- Cover your baby’s feet with socks to prevent the ingestion of ointment.
Does Vicks VapoRub/BabyRub Really Work For Babies?
Vicks VapoRub/ BabyRub is not a decongestant and it does not cure cold or cough. Instead, it may help calm, soothe, and relax a baby with common cold.
Vicks VapoRub is labeled as a topical cough suppressant and topical analgesic (2). Menthol and camphor vapors create a cooling effect in the nasal passage, making it easier for the child to breathe and sleep. Vicks has been recommended for the common cold. However, Vicks VapoRub is not recommended for cough with high phlegm, chronic cough, asthma, and emphysema.
Precautions To Take While Using Vicks VapoRub And BabyRub
- Vicks Rubs (VapoRub and BabyRub) should not be used beyond the expiry date on the package.
- Rubs should not be heated, microwaved, or added to boiling water. Doing so may cause the ointment to splatter and cause burns.
- It should not be applied on skin with open wounds.
- Vicks Rubs are for external use only. The contents of the rubs could be toxic to babies if ingested.
- Check if your child’s skin is allergic to the product by applying a small amount on the skin of the hand.
- Do not apply Vicks Rubs on the nose, nostrils, forehead, and eyes, because it can cause respiratory distress and eye irritation.
Alternatives To Vicks VapoRub/BabyRub For Babies
1.Vaporizers and humidifiers
Humidifiers work by creating mist from cold water, while vaporizers heat water to create steam. Cool-mist humidifiers are safer than warm-steam vaporizers for the baby’s use, as it will nullify the chances of burns if they get too close to the device. A few vaporizers allow you to vaporize medications or compounds for inhalation.
Advantages of vaporizers and humidifiers are that they:
- Add moisture to indoor air.s
- Prevent dry skin problems.
- Relieve cold, flu, and allergy symptoms.
- Help soothe nose irritation, dry throat, and headache.
- Soothe our sinuses and nasal passage by keeping them moist.
You can consider the following vaporizer and humidifier products from Vicks.
- Vicks vaporizers are devices used to vaporize medications for inhalation. It boils the water and releases vapor in the room to moisten dry air and soothe the irritated sinuses. It also helps reduce throat and bronchial irritation associated with cough and cold. You may use Vicks products, such as VapoPads and VapoSteam, that add medicated fragrant steam to the air for easy breathing and a soothing effect.
- Vicks humidifier releases cool-mist to maintain the necessary moisture level in the air. It can help provide relief from symptoms of cough and congestion. A cool-mist humidifier is a bit noisy compared to ultrasonic humidifiers, which are silent. If you have hard water supply in your area, then use a demineralization cartridge with Vicks humidifier or filtered water. Do not add essential oils in the tank of the humidifier as oil can damage it. You can use Vicks Vapopads with some models of Vicks cool-mist humidifiers.
Vicks VapoPads are small pads that can be inserted into dedicated slots in humidifiers and vaporizers. The pads add mentholated fragrance to the air for relief from cough and cold symptoms. Vicks VapoSteam achieves the same effect in a liquid form.
2. Saline nasal drops
Saline nasal drops are a popular remedy to clear a baby’s blocked nasal passages. Put some drops of saline solution into the baby’s nose and use a bulb syringe to suction out the mucus. Your baby’s doctor can suggest a saline solution appropriate for use for your baby’s cold and cough symptoms.
3. DIY natural vapor rub for your baby
You can make your very own natural vapor rub at home with the following steps.
- Melt two tablespoons of beeswax.
- Add four drops of eucalyptus oil and one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Stir this mixture to form a uniform mix.
- Store this in an air-tight container in a dark place.
Use the rub as an when needed. This home-made rub for your baby is preservative- and chemical-free.
Other Uses Of Vicks VapoRub
Vicks Vaporub can be used for the following purposes.
- Mosquito repellent: The camphor oil and menthol in Vicks VapoRub may repel mosquitoes.
- Treating toenail fungal infection: The cedarwood oil and thymol in Vicks VapoRub have antifungal properties, which may help treat fungal infections.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is putting Vicks VapoRub on your babies’ feet safe?
Vicks VapoRub should not be applied to any part of the baby’s body. You may apply VapoRub on the feet of children older than two years. Vicks BabyRub is safe to apply on the feet of babies older than three months. Putting BabyRub on your baby’s feet and then covering the feet with warm socks or warm towels can help suppress the symptoms of cough and cold. Massaging the baby’s feet can help them relax further.
2. When should I use a vaporizer for my baby?
You can use humidifiers and vaporizers whenever you intend to relieve the baby’s cold symptoms. You may use a cool-mist humidifier to relieve symptoms of cold and cough. If you intend to use warm-mist vaporizers, place them away from the baby’s reach. Some devices work with mentholated pads and solutions. These devices can be non-topical alternatives to subside cold symptoms.
3. Is Vicks VapoRub toxic?
Vicks VapoRub contains camphor, which can be toxic when ingested (6). You may prefer Vicks BabyRub, which is free from camphor and keep the container away from the baby’s reach.
Vicks for babies is available under the brand name Vicks BabyRub. The product does not cure a cold or cough but may be used for soothing and relaxing your baby. It may be rubbed on the baby’s back or chest to create a cooling sensation, ease breathing, and promote undisturbed sleep when suffering from a common cold. You may use Vicks Vaporub if your child is older than two years. Follow certain precautionary measures while using these products and check with a pediatrician if the symptoms persist or become severe.
- Vicks VapoRub should not be used on babies younger than two years, but Vicks BabyRub is meant for babies three months and older.
- Vicks BabyRub gently calms and relaxes your baby when they have common cold.
- Use it while keeping some safety tips in mind, such as not to heat or microwave it and not to use it if it is expired.